Sunday, October 4, 2009

Brownies

I was sitting on the couch watching Paula Deen and realized that I have never made brownies from scratch. I knew that I had (or what I thought) was most of the ingredients in my pantry, so I did it. I will never make brownies from a box mix again! They were so amazingly good. I added a few things different from my original recipe but seriously, I was surprised. I only had 1/2 cup of sugar, so I only made a half batch. On to the recipe!

Brownies:
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3ounces chopped candy of your choice (i had some chocolate toffee candy that I chopped into chocolate chip sized pieces. chocolate chips or reeses peanut butter cups sound awesome too)


The trick to this is not over mix. They become too cakey when you do that. Preheat oven to 350. Over medium heat, melt your butter. When that's done, remove from heat and wisk in your sugar and eggs (slighty beat the eggs first). Then wisk in the cocoa, then the flour, baking powder and salt. When everything is mixed, fold in the candy pieces. Spread batter into a greased 8in square pan, cook for 25min. I started checking them at 20 with a toothpick. Because brownies continue cooking once out of the oven, you are looking for your tester pick to be a little dirty when it comes out. This will ensure chewy brownies when they cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment