Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pumpkin hummus

Please excuse the ugly picture, I've already dug into this quite a few times. It's no secret my love for pumpkin. I think more posts in this blog are about pumpkin than any other food. Anyways, I like to roast pumpkins but there was sale at my store on organic pumpkin puree, so I stocked up on a few cans. I made pumpkin soup last week and want to make pumpkin curry soon, so I needed something else to make with my pumpkin. I was making my weekly batch of hummus and thought that's it, pumpkin hummus!

This recipe needs some tuning but it's pretty good. The pumpkin flavor is really just a hint that shines with cinnamon without being sweet. I've been putting it on my salads and it's not overpowering. Add an apple to the salad and it's the perfect fall meal. Let me know if you try it and put in anything different!

Pumpkin hummus
2 c chickpeas (I rehydrate a cup of dried beans by soaking them over night and boiling them the next morning for 30-45 min. Test 5 to make sure they are soft, boarderline mushy so they blend easier)
1-3 tbs leftover water from cooking chickpeas or from the can
1/2 can pumpkin puree
2 tbs tahini
1 tbs olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
salt to taste
cinnamon to taste

Puree all the ingredients in a blender or food processor except the water. I start with the chickpeas, then add the pumpkin, tahini, oil, lemon juice and salt. Add the starchy water until you get the consistency that you want. Transfer to a container, sprinkle with cinnamon and refrigerate. The flavors will really shine and come together if you let it sit for a half hour or so before serving. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I want to try to make this, but I have tried making hummus three times... and all three batches were not delicious. :-( I am a failure at smushed chickpeas in delicious form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww we'll make hummus together and make it awesome.

    ReplyDelete