Thursday, August 27, 2009

BUS RANT

Okay, I'm a bus commuter. I take the bus from the burtonsville park and ride to my stop on 19th and M. On the way home it's the same way but reversed. Now, Dillon's Bus is a little different than a metro bus. First of all, it's more expensive ($4.25 one way into the city). Second, the seats are nice. Third, there is no standing and you can't stop when you want, there are set stops. Finally, it's air conditioned and overall comfortable.

What irritates me are the people, particularly those that sit in the first 7 or 8 rows. This for some reason are reserved for those bitchy older ladies that feel like they are entitled to both seats in the row. There is overhead space for bags but apparently their bag is much to nice to go in the overhead, it must have the seat next to them. They let you, the new passenger, know this because they sit on the outside next to the aisle and reserve the inside seat for their bag. 9 out of 10 times, if you ask "may I sit there?" they scoot over, so they have no real desire to even sit in the aisle seat, they want their own two seat row.

Well, I came across such a woman yesterday. I was last to get in line which means you can't really walk to the end of the bus because the bus is moving and I'm clumsy. So I walk 6 or 7 rows in, see such a woman who LOOKED AT ME, TURNED HER HEAD and PRETENDED to sleep right as I was about to ask her. Fine. So I sat directly behind her, on the aisle seat.

She then, as if having two seats wasn't enough, reclined her chair back. I actually have no problem with this if I had short legs or if there were two people sitting in that row. I do have a problem with it when you are greedy and mean. So, I waited a second, then I sharply sunk down into my seat which caused my knees to lock behind her seat, which then quickly propelled her into the most upright position. She turned around to glare and I, for a half second, met her eyes with mine, then slowly turned my head and closed my eyes. She tried for a few minutes to re-recline her seat but my knees and long legs were not having it.

Luckily, a passenger at the stop 10 min from when I got on asked to sit on the inside seat. She moved over proving she was just as greedy as I suspected. I let the woman who sat down recline.

Passive aggressive, I know, but it made me feel so much better =)

No comments:

Post a Comment