Monday, August 31, 2009

First day of school

First of all, I haven't cooked anything other than muffins all weekend. Saturday I had a pool party and Sunday we spent the day driving then got snow crab legs for dinner to celebrate the end of summer/beginning of a new semester. Tomorrow's post will include a new recipe but for now I'm going to talk about me.

Today I will have three classes: history of modern France, history of American Theater up to 1890 and Intermediate Latin. Can I just say that I have not properly prepared for Latin and I'm quite scared at what's going to happen at 2pm. Like, I don't remember anything. I had 4 weeks off and it's like my brain said "so long conjugation of verbs! forget you pluperfect!" Seriously, I feel like the only things I remember are "sum es est, summus estis sunt." It's bad.

Modern France looks like it's going to be a pain (no pun intended?). The professor is a little dry and it's a 9am class. Rule is if you are late, don't come in. However, my American Theater class is going to be awesome. And I mean, awesome. I realized in sitting in this class that this is my element- American history. I don't really care for European/Asian history. It's interesting and all but American is where it's at. I was really bummed about this semester and how boring it was going to be (modern France, Latin, Imperial Russia, Introduction to Chinese Studies), but when I saw I was able to add this class today, I jumped on the opportunity. I think now, despite how scary Latin 201 is going to be, it's going to be a good semester.

I think the scariest thing about Latin 201 are the readings. The last two semesters I read about a family, Cornelius and his wife. I read about their daughter's marriage and how their sons misbehaved. This semester's book starts off with a speech. Everything text in the book is a real, historical, Latin text. Gah. So not looking forward to this.

I do have an assignment to look forward to in Theater though. Our final paper (which is only 5-7 pages because it's a lower level course, holla) can be written in a different way. I create a fictitious person, place them in a real setting and write about how their life's experiencing would influence them to appreciate a play in this way. So like, I could write about a Sarah Goldsmith, a Jewish immigrant from Eastern Europe, 19 yrs old, in New York at 1830, saw a play on oppression and she could relate to it because of her experiences in this country at that time. I think it'll be neat-o.

Anyway, heading to Latin now. Ego vobis valedico.

No comments:

Post a Comment