Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Steak salad


So the other night (Friday I think), I had two steaks defrosting and was tired of the same old same old with steak. I did an internet search and a Giada recipe for a steak salad came up. I did some altercations and oh man, it was amazing. It was so good that I ate the salad part (sans steak) again that night as a snack. I'm not posting Giada's recipe because hers had stuff in it that I really don't like. This is also really good for leftover steak or to make the vinaigrette the night before and refrigerate.

Believe me when I say you'll go back for more.

Steak Salad:
(modified from Giada De Laurentiis)
1 bag romaine mix
1 bag arugula
4 oz package crumbled goat cheese (my fave) or feta or Gorgonzola (i hate this cheese)
2 whole tomatoes (half then give them a squeeze to remove extra water, then cut up to desired size) or 12 cherry tomatoes (halved)
1/2-1 diced diced onion (i used a whole one though)
1 diced cucumber
1 lb steak

Red Wine Vinaigrette (recipe follows)

Pan cook your steak (or grill it) with just salt and pepper. Once that is medium or desired doneness, remove to cool. LET STAND FOR 15 MINUTES! Next, mix the bag greens, tomato, cucumber, onion and cheese. Salt and pepper the top and use about 1/3 the mixture of the vinaigrette, then toss. Add a little more if you like. Plate each plate with the salad then arrange a few thin slices of the cooled steak on top, drizzle a touch more vinaigrette over steak. You'll probably have left over dressing. Because I love croutons, I added those as well.


Red Wine Vinaigrette
1/2 c red wine
salt and pepper
3 tbs lemon juice
2tsp honey
2/3 to 1 cup olive oil
(because I had it and love it) handful rough chop of cilantro

Put the ingredients sans olive oil in a blender. Turn on and when that has a good consistency, slowly add the oil while the blender is running, checking it for desired consistency. Add more salt/pepper to taste. Note that it will be a touch too tangy when you try it. I know I did but on the salad it's wonderful and the flavors mesh so well together. Makes approx 1 2/3 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment