Monday, September 21, 2009

Julie and Julia recipe

So my mom and I went to see Julie and Julia last week. Great movie. In the beginning though there was a scene where Julie is making dinner in the kitchen and she makes this fantastic looking bruschetta that my mom and I both leaned in to say "that looks amazing." So, I set out yesterday to make this dish. Everything from scratch. I made things a bit different from the recipe, so I'm only going to include what I did. If Andrew gets up in time for me to make it for him, I'll show the fabulous picture.

First, I made crusty Italian bread. It came out fantastic although a little small. I think my kitchen was just too cold to get this bread to rise properly. The end product?

It's not pretty but it was pretty good. Better than the store and this just had flour, salt, little sugar, yeast and water. Who knew.

So, cut your bread diagonally into nice, thick slices (not too thick you can't take a bite of though with topping). Next, take you minced garlic and saute it over med-low heat in some olive oil until they are soft (2 min max really). Remove the garlic and place it in the bowl with your tomatoes and basil (recipe below). Cook your bread in the garlic olive oil until both sides are brown, remove from heat and turn your stove off. Next, mix your bruschetta with salt and pepper by hand, drizzle with just a teaspoon of olive oil, then put in the pan you used to brown your bread. The stove is off so it's just heating the tomato goodness up. After 10 or 15 seconds, remove and spoon mixture over the bread. You really will eat "like a pig" like Julie's husband did. It's good.

Bruschetta
1 1/4 pound of plumb tomatoes
1 tbs finely chopped basil
2 cloves minced garlic
1tsp olive oil
salt
pepper

Cut your tomatoes length wise then give them a good squeeze over the sink to de-seed them. Dice them then place them in a bowl with the basil and cooked garlic. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt and paper then toss gently with your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment