Monday, September 21, 2009

Bread

Okay. So as promised, here is my bread story. It started around 9pm after an unusually long day and a recipe for Parmesan Pull-Aparts, I went to the store and called my mom with a million questions about baking bread. The woman is an expert on all things bread baking. So, after consulting her I went to work. First, I prepared the yeast. I had to google what "foamy yeast" looks like but this was mine.


Foamy!

Next, I added the necessary ingredients. Then, I watched it knead. I couldn't look away. The image of this dough turning and turning was fascinating. After it properly had pulled away from the bowl, I transferred it and set it aside to rise.



yeah, it's sideways but you get the picture

When it got to this point I was certain it was never going to rise. I even cried (part hormones, part being tired) because I was absolutely certain my dough wasn't going to rise. But then...

Hooray!

It rose! And it rose well! I took it out, kneaded it, and rolled it out into 12 neat balls for my pull aparts. I actually think I let it rise too much because there was supposed to be 1inch between each ball and I had much less than that so the next rise only took 45 min. Then it was eggwash and oven time.



Isn't it beautiful!

The end product? Delicious. We ate it without butter and it was fantastic. You can tell by this:

Look at how happy he is. It really was great. I think I may become a bread expert, thanks mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment