Sunday, January 30, 2011

Curry

One of my weaknesses is Indian food. I love it. What I love most now about Indian is so much of it is or can very easily be made vegan. Last weekend I went to visit some lovely ladies, so as a big thank you to my roommates for keeping an eye on my Whitney, I made dinner. I wanted to replicate the amazing pumpkin curry I ate in San Francisco, but I couldn't find any pumpkin, so I worked with what I had.

It was great. I super super loved it. I ended up making so much that I froze some, and it thawed nicely. The coolest part to me is that I just winged it as I went. It was really nice over some rice but just as good without. I don't have a picture but trust me, it was beautiful (but I'm biased) =P

In other news, I moved to Owings Mills and I started school at UMBC on Thursday! So exciting! I feel so happy where I am in life and I hope 2011 continues being awesome. Hopefully 2012 will bring a new career as a teacher and not the end of the world in December (although looking at my school debt that might be good for my financial state).

Butternut Squash Curry
1 onion chopped
3 or 4 garlic cloves chopped
2 parsnips cleaned and chopped into bite sized pieces
2 smallish red potatoes chopped
1lb chopped butternut squash (I found it in a container already cleaned and cut up)
1/2 package extra firm tofu pressed until the liquid is mostly gone and chopped
1 can coconut milk plus 1 can almond milk (more if you like your curry a little on the runny side)
2tbs red curry
1 tbs curry powder (if you have it)
1tbs cumin
red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onions and garlic in a dutch oven over med heat for a few min. Add the rest of your vegetables and tofu, milks and seasonings (mix curry paste with some of the milk then pour into your pot). Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer away until the vegetables are soft, roughly 30-40 min. Serve with rice or naan.

Because you are adding potato, you might need to up your salt and spice, so really make it to taste. I know when I finished, I added hot sauce.

4 comments:

  1. Did the roommates like the pumpkin curry? Wish you had a pic! I'm glad you are in a happy place in life. By the way, the world is ending this October...I saw it on a billboard.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half of them did. The other half doesn't like Indian food which I unfortunately didn't know until after I cooked it =(

    And no! I'm not ready, I won't have a baby by October.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds tasty! I make my curried chickpeas a ton... always tasty...

    I was wondering where you moved!! I was going to FB you about it this week, but now I know! Hooray! Although you are not really any closer to me... boooo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Closer than Waldorf I think. I am still in DC working until either subbing starts or I get a job closer to school. We should do a happy hour one day when our schedules don't crazy conflict!

    ReplyDelete