Monday, September 13, 2010

Cake Time!

Eating vegan has been fun and trying. You don't realize how much food you make has some level of animal by-products. One that I thought was going to be the hardest obstacle to overcome but ended up being the easiest was baking. I was bored one night a few weeks ago and stumbled across this recipe and decided to give it a go. I made a couple of alterations to it because I lacked some of the ingredients but it came out so yummy. Very moist and I had no need for icing. My mom, who was a little skeptical at the idea of a vegan cake, really liked it.

This recipe also proves that vegan does not equal healthy all the time. I think next time I'd also cut back a little on the sugar, it was definitely a sugar overload.

Vegan Orange Cake

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease or line with parchment paper a standard round or 8 x 8 inch square pan.

In a large bowl whisk together:

  • 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt

In a medium mixing bowl (or I use a large measuring cup) mix together:

  • 3/4 c orange juice
  • 1/4 c pineapple juice
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Pour wet ingredients into dry and whisk until smooth. Pour into cake pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

3 comments:

  1. That looks mighty tasty. Might have to give it a try! What, may I ask, inspired the Vegan lifestyle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to get myself in much better shape after a diet of processed nastiness. In addition, my blood pressure was getting out of control which limited my meat and I was feeling crappy after dairy, so this just fell into place. I still miss cheese though, soy chesse just isn't the same...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a really moist and delicious cake!(mom)

    ReplyDelete