Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pumpkin Soup


I keep promising pictures and this time, I actually took them. The downside is they are home on my mom's laptop. So, when I get in, I'll add pictures to this posting.

Anyways, I had my "OMGINEEDPUMPKIN" craving on Friday. Friday night however, I went out with two coworkers for happy hour then saw "Going the Distance." It was a very cute, very sweet movie. Saturday my plan was to spend all afternoon/night catching up on True Blood with my sister AND making this wonderful soup, but I was sad and depressed and needed hugs, so after 3 episodes and no soup, I ventured home to snuggle with my Whitney. She apparently needed snuggling too because she did not leave my side when I got home.

So Sunday was the day and Sunday it happened! Now the pumpkin soup I wanted to make involves andouille sausage and heavy cream and although that sounds gross, it's actually really good. A bit more hearty and wonderful if you top it with some smoked gouda. I was just going to make a simple soup and replace the cream with coconut milk or soy milk, but decided since I had time and the ingredients available, that I would stretch the vegan resources.

The result? Actually pretty amazing. My mom liked it and I thought she'd turn it down when she learned of what was in it or because of the spice (she doesn't like spice). My dad enjoyed it and wanted to know the carb count so he could have it. It also had a ton less fat/oil than the previous version which I liked more. This in a bread bowl would be outstanding. It made a ton, so I froze half and have been eating soup for dinner every night this week. I'm not complaining.

Pumpkin Soup
2 cans puree pumpkin
7 cups organic vegetable stock (I used 7 cups of water and 4 -2 cup serving vegetable bullion cubes)
1 onion
4 tbs Earth Balance
8 oz soy milk
1 tsp red pepper flakes
14oz vegan ground "sausage"
pumpkin spice flavor seasoning to your heart's content, but about 2 tsp, maybe 1 tbs
1/2 c packed brown sugar
salt to taste

Saute in a heavy pot (I used my dutch oven) the ground sausage and red pepper flakes over low-medium heat in 2 tbs Earth Balance for 5 min. Then add the diced onion and the remaining Earth Balance until the onions are soft. Add the pumpkin puree (or 1 1/2lbs diced pumpkin), reduce heat to low and mix. Then add stock, sugar, spices and mix well. Cover and let it simmer for about 45min-1hr (if you are using fresh pumpkin, just make sure it's soft).

Yummy pumpkin-ness a'brewin

In batches, transfer your soup to the blender and blend well. Return it back to the pot, add the soy milk and heat, but do not let it boil. Add any remaining pumpkin spice/salt/pepper that you feel necessary.



No comments:

Post a Comment