Sunday, December 12, 2010

Brownies

Brownies are one of my favorite desserts, which is weird because I'm not a chocolate person. Given any dessert, I'll take lemon or rainbow (funfetti, sherbert) flavored things. Given that, I was bored yesterday and decided to bake. While looking through one of my vegan cookbooks (this one given to me by Mandy for my birthday, thanks Mandy!) I decided on the dreary, grey day that it would be a brownie day.

Now maybe it's because I haven't had a dessert type item in a long time but I thought they were pretty great. I discovered nog by Silk that I am oh so happy with, so it was very cool to me to have a vegan brownie and a no-dairy, no egg nog. Others were not as thrilled as me. My mom seemed to like it, although I think she was just being nice. Julie took a bite, smiled and said "mmmm, I'll save the rest for later." The only one that seemed to love them was Cass, and I think that was because she found out it had coffee in it and she thought that was pretty cool. Given those comments, I still think they were good. Alicia Silverstone has a recipe in her Kind Diet book that I think I'd like to try next time instead of this one.


The recipe I used is from the book but tweaked it some, so I'm not sure if this violates copyright things. It's taken from The Complete Vegan Kitchen by Jannequin Bennett, and you should get it for the original recipe.


Hope that covers everything, ha.


Brownies

1/2 c brewed french vanilla coffee (blech, my mom's coffee)

1/3 c cocoa

1 heaping cup of sugar

1tsp vanilla

1/3 oil

1 1/4 flour

1 tsp baking powder

pinch of salt


Whisk the coffee, cocoa and sugar together until well blended. Then mix the remaining ingrediants just until blended but don't over do it, apparently it can make the brownies tough. Pour the batter in a greased 8in pan for 30-32 min in a 350 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment