Sunday, December 19, 2010

Peanut Butter Cookies



My work decided to have a cookie exchange for our holiday party. Not nearly as cool as free wine, but it's cookies, so whatev. I felt a lot of pressure because I feel like whatever I make is going to be taken one of two ways: cautiously because it's vegan or ignored because, well, it's vegan. Because I had to work today, I said I wasn't going to make anything until my coworker made what is going to be a very amazing key lime goat cheese cheesecake. So if she could do that, I can make some cookies.

I didn't want to go to the store, so I decided on peanut butter cookies, partly because I had all the ingredients on hand and partly because this same coworker said that she loved vegan peanut butter cookies.

Overall they aren't bad. My biggest whine with cookie baking is after the first batch, I'm bored and don't want to continue baking so my cookies get bigger and bigger so less and less cookie sheets go in the oven. I also I think it's hard for me to give a solid answer because I'm just not a sweet person. My mom tried them and said she never would have guessed they were vegan. Then followed it up with "this isn't like when I said your brownies were good. There really are good." So if she gives the thumb up, I trust her baking critique enough that they much be pretty good. I added little peanuts on the top for decoration and because I was a little short on peanut butter, I added 1tbs of tahini. The one compliant that I had is that these did not take 5-7min like the recipe said it would. Maybe I made them too big, but they took at least 10 min.

Peanut Butter Cookies
(recipe taken from hellyeahitsvegan.com)

¾ c creamy peanut butter (like I said, I added tahini)
½ c shortening
1¼ c light brown sugar
3 tbsp almond milk
1 tbsp vanilla
2 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed into 3 tbsp warm water
1¾ c flour
¾ tsp salt
¾ tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine peanut butter, shortening, and brown sugar. Add almond milk, vanilla, and flax mixture and beat well. In a small bowl, sift together flour, salt, and soda. Add dry mixture to wet; mix well. Drop by heaping tablespoons, 2″ apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten lengthwise and crosswise with fork tines. Bake 10-12 minutes. Store in an air-tight container.

no real reason for this picture, but definitely happy that baking is over


1 comment:

  1. I had another cookie this morning and they are really good. Cooking timewise, there are some differences in ovens, but you were baking on a stone pan and you have to add a minute or two for that pan to reach correct temp. I think you are a sweet person. Some people love to cook, others love to bake. You love to cook, I don't like doing either one...most of the time.

    ReplyDelete