Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hummus

I used to buy hummus once a week, but was sick of spending $4 for a tub of good quality hummus. I decided to save money and make sure I knew where each ingredient came from, so I went on the search for the perfect hummus recipe. You know what I found? There are a bazillion recipes for hummus. I tried free styling it for a while and that failed miserably. So, two months in, I think I found my favorite hummus recipe. I was eating two batches a week until I realized that although hummus is good for you, too much of a good thing is...too much. So I make this on Sunday and it'll last me until Friday or Saturday, and still tastes just as fresh as when I first made it. I use roasted red peppers in it frequently because after reading an article Sarah posted, I discovered that red peppers mixed with chickpeas increases the level of iron that is absorbed.

Favorite Hummus
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
juice of one lemon (unless it's a big, super juicy lemon. just use half)
2 tbs tahini
a few big pieces of roasted red pepper (i use the one from the jar, but I imagine if I had some extra time and made my own, this would taste way better)
2 garlic cloves chopped
1tbs water
1-1.5 tbs olive oil
salt, pepper and paprika to taste

I don't have a food processor, so I put the chickpeas in a blender, mix for a few seconds, then add everything else but the olive oil. Then I get it going on a low setting and add the oil until it's as smooth as I like it, which typically hangs out around 1tbs, sometimes 1.5tbs.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment