Friday, March 11, 2011

Pantry Cleanout

I bought some food on Monday and told myself that I would stretch the $20 worth of groceries until Friday. That means not eating out at all for the remainder of the week so I can stay true to my budget.

When I got home from class last night, I had a few left overs and an eggplant in my fridge. I decided to put them all together, which produced this hot mess:


It's not pretty, at all. I roasted one very small eggplant with two vine tomatoes in a little balsamic, then mixed it with my remaining 1/3 c spicy quinoa (which I mixed with my remaining 2 tbs of hummus), 1 black bean burger patty and a little over 1 cup of spinach. And a lot of Frank's Red Hot because I still put that sh*t on everything.

I ate it over 1/2 a whole wheat pita bread last night, then ate the remaining serving for lunch today. Not the greatest thing but it did fill me up and will keep me full for a while, which is awesome because I'm at work until 930 tonight. Plus it taught me how to stretch my grocery bill and not be wasteful of food. Seeing what's happened in Japan with that horrific earthquake followed by the tsunamis really puts things in perspective, so I'm cool with eating weird looking food because I'm grateful for it.

Have a happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. What a good lesson to show how using what you have is both responsible and economical. The food didn't look pretty (Like Usual), but if you made it, I KNOW it tasted delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha Mom. Yeah, a lot of my stuff turns out ugly, but that's okay. Your food turns out so pretty, I should take a lesson from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the eggplants and were they nice ones? I heard something about a frost or something making the harvest sad and I have to say that the ones I have seen in the store looked like they needed some love.

    ReplyDelete