Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day 1, pumpkin pudding


So far so good! Better be though, it's only 10am. Anyways, I started my day juicing kale, a grapefruit, some ginger and half a cucumber. Then I made my current favorite breakfast.

I've mentioned over and over and over about my love of pumpkin. When I saw the recipe for this, I jumped on it and as a breakfast, it's pretty good. It has enough fiber and protein that I don't get hungry. Plus, it's fairly cheap.
Just doesn't look pretty. Anyways, it also opened my eyes to the wonderful world of chia seeds. These little things are a super food and in my eyes, better for you than my trusty flax seeds. Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, they are also full of antioxidants (so much that they don't go rancid quickly), fiber, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and zinc. You can eat them raw, but I think the best way to eat them is to soak them in some water or whatever liquid you are cooking with and when you do, they expand 10 times their size in the water they are retaining.

For this recipe, I soaked about a tablespoon, maybe a little more, of chia seeds in about 1/2c vanilla coconut milk for 10-15 min. Really I just soaked them while I juiced then cleaned up. After, I mixed the gelatinous mixture with half a can of pumpkin, a little cinnamon and two sugar in the raw packets. For added protein, I melted 1tbs of organic crunchy peanut butter with a touch of hot water and mixed that in.

There you go! A healthy, raw breakfast.

3 comments:

  1. Adding this to my list o' recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally did this. Very good. I used double your Chia seeds, though. I thought you said two, so that was what I used. Ah well. Very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! I'm glad you liked it! And it's such a satisfying meal.

    ReplyDelete