Friday, March 9, 2012

Day 6!

It crept up behind me and bit me in the butt. Surprised me for sure but I welcome its return. I don't know where it's been hiding for the past several months but it's back.

My motivation!

Seriously, I don't know how many times I've said "oh yeah, I'll go to the gym tonight" then not go. Or I'll mean to go in the morning but I don't. It's even free! Part of my tuition. Or I'll bring my lunch then spend money on something twice the calories and carbs as what I brought. But yesterday was a wake up call. I can improve my eating like I've been doing, and I'm a firm believer that health is 80% what you put in your mouth, but my body has changed since severely cutting down my workout regimen. Last year I was out there nearly every day doing something and my body showed it. My arms had definition, my legs were getting strong and even though I weigh not much different than when I was working out a lot, my clothes felt snugger, my body felt puffier and I just looked softer overall.

So last night after class, I schlept myself and my roommate to the gym. My class ran a little late so we only had time for 30 min cardio but we did it. My endurance and stamina haven't dwindled as much as I thought which made me happy. Then I came home, ate a great dinner of a big salad with tomatoes and a baked sweet potato. Then this morning was the true test. I could take a cardio/strength training class before work at 545. Those are offered three days a week, then on weekend mornings, which would give me enough time to work out and come home and get ready.

And I did it.

Didn't want to. Was super tired after only 4.5 hrs of sleep. But I felt great afterwards.

I'll have to readjust my sleep schedule and force myself to go to bed earlier (not easy for me) but I feel great. I'm 6 full days into eating more whole foods, eating in and (now) working out and I already feel less bloated and gross. Plus I haven't gained back my stomach bug weight loss, so just gonna keep moving forward.

But now, food. I started measuring everything again. It's really the only way I can be sure that I know exactly what I put in my mouth isn't more than it should be (that's what she said). Ahem. Anyways, after working out I ate a bartlett pear to hold me over until I got to work at 9. Then I made this:
It doesn't look pretty, I know, but it's full of things that hold me over all morning, it's cheap, and make my insides happy to do what it is they are supposed to do. It's basically a scaled down version of Kath Eat's basic oatmeal recipe. For mine, I use 1/4c quick oats, 1tbs organic crunchy peanut butter, 1tbs chia seeds, 1 packet of sugar in the raw, pinch of salt and enough water so that it's not gummy. I drain the oil out of my peanut butter when I get it (and please, I know, all the good stuff is in the oil but I don't like it. It's too greasy, I hate stirring it in and I don't eat it on bread), so I put everything in the bowl together, use the hot water from the water filter thing, then microwave for a min. I usually have to add more water because the chia seeds have exploded, so I'll add more, let it sit for another min or two, then decide if I like the consistency. It's not pumpkin pudding, but it does last me hours and I don't have the sugar crash that I get if I add a banana or have another high sugar breakfast.

Stats? Myfitnesspal says for the bowl: 260 cal, 27 carbs, 13 fat, 10 protein, 7 sugar. And again, it's probably a little lower because of the lack of oil in the peanut butter but I'd rather overestimate than underestimate.

2 comments:

  1. Good job with the early morning exercise! I do that, too. When I am done with work, I am too blah to go work out and I notice that I feel better throughout the day if I do my workout in the morning. Well, on work days. I prefer to work out in the early afternoon, but I gotsta make the dough so I don't have to eat my cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cats now, but I bet they would prove to be some good eats.

    ReplyDelete